Thursday, August 23, 2007

Come On--It's not that hard!

OK, I know I have an unusual name. I like my unusual name. And given the chance, I wouldn't change it. In fact, I (and my sister/cousin roommates) got quite offended when we had a home teacher who told me repeatedly that I could change my name and get a "real" one. We fired him. Anyway. Like I said, I know it's unusual, so I try to help people out a little.

For example, a month ago I was on the phone with a business. The woman I was speaking to asked for my name.
"My first name is Peanut. P-E-A-N-U-T." Pretty clear and straight forward, no?
"Christina?"
"No, not Christina. Peanut, P-E-A-N-U-T."
And then because she couldn't answer my question she put me on hold to talk to someone else.
"OK, Christina, what can we do for you?"
"My name's not Christina."
"Oh. I'm sorry, that's what it says here."
"No. It's Peanut, P-E-A-N-U-T."
"We have that after Christina."

Unfortunately, that kind of conversation isn't that surprising to me. That's part of why I've made it a habit to say, "My first name is..." following it up with a spelling. And then "My last name is..." I really do try to help people out.

People also have trouble with my name when they try to get it from my drivers license. The problem? They look at the name: Peanut Jean Frogmorton Zoolander, and they can't figure out which is my first name and which is my last name.

Just yesterday I was at the library checking out a book that I'd reserved (Twilight, incidentally). I had forgotten my library card and instead used my drivers license.
"It's under 'Peanut'?"
"Yes." (At this point I got a little worried and wondered if she was looking at all the other Zoolanders in the system and didn't see a Peanut or if she was looking for someone with the last name Peanut.)
"Have you not used your card in awhile?"
I clarified, "Peanut is my first name."
"Oh!"

I don't see how it can possibly be that hard. Four names. In a row. The first one is my first name. The last one is my last name. I thought that was standard.

8 comments:

MMA Lady said...

Never seemed hard to me, Peanut Jean! I've always enjoyed your first name. I remember you telling me once about a summer thing you did, where you roomed with a girl named Paisley. So the names taped on the door were interesting and generated lots of conversation. I think it's cool.

Mark said...

When in doubt, try free word association and see what you come up with: Peanut Butter'n'Jelly Jean Valjean Frogmorton Toadsuck Zoolander Marsrover

Lady said...

We have that problem with MacGregor - people are totally confused as to which is his first name and which is his last (I guess they both are last names technically, but in high school I had a friend named Scott George which is two first names technically) And NOONE can pronounce Ainsley's name or understand it the first time we say it. I personally don't feel it's that hard to pronounce. And I am really glad you are reading Twlight. Sarah Jane just finished it and we chatted on the phone about it. We'll have to have a family book club.

Boss said...

"Peanut Jean Frogmorton Zoolander"= fuuunny!

Ree said...

I agree with boss. Except one of these things is not like the other. Why not "Peanut Dean Frogmorton Zoolander"?, or maybe "Peanut Mean Frogmorton Zoolander"?....

Taffy said...

It's Bean, Ree.
Sorry for all the hassel it causes you but it sure is good for the laughs when you share others confusion with those of us who are not so confused.

CAROLIONESS said...

Man, how can people be so dumb! You should tell them to go back to 1st grade and learn about first and last and how to listen when someone is spelling something!

Anonymous said...

Christina thanks for the post! What silly heads! Thanks for a great laugh, again!

B