Friday, August 22, 2008

Okra?

Hey, does anyone have any great ideas or recipes for using some okra?
I'm part of a vegetable co-op, and this week I got a grab-bag of fresh locally grown veggies. Only I'm not sure what to do with the bag full of okra I got. Tomatoes, cucumbers and squash, fine. But okra?
Help?

5 comments:

Like Mike said...

Steam it. Fry it. However, Gumbo, is the best!

Anonymous said...

All I know is that when I tried cooking it in Albania it turned into a sticky gooey mess (quite unappetizing.) So be careful how you cut it!? (I was told we cut it incorrectly._ Good luck and share your recipes!

B

Peanut said...

We fed the missionaries tonight, so I decided to experiment on them. I went with fried okra--sort of following the frying instructions/seasonings of Emeril. I didn't have any cayenne pepper, so I just went without. The raw okra was pricklier and, after cutting, gooey-er than I anticipated, but the final product wasn't prickly or gooey.

Overall, it was actually much better than I expected--good even. I might even get okra again, on purpose

Boss said...

I hope you saved some leftovers to take and show the checkout lady at the grocery store. Cause cookin with okra totally makes you a gourmet.

Ree said...

I agree with Boss--cooking with okra is the real thing. I don't do it very often, but seeing as it's a traditional dish in the south, I have learned one good recipe. Toby's family eats it boiled (slimey) but the kids and I pretty much only like it fried. I just coat it with cornmeal, salt and pepper. It's extra good when you add quartered onions and green tomatoes. (Yes, really!)