Today I was out in the neighborhood with Razor, taking a little walk. We had just said hi to a man outside his house when Razor decided she needed to poop. Not ideal, I thought, but not a huge deal. I have poop bags on Razor's leash, and I immediately started getting one ready.
The man said, "Please don't let your dog poop in my yard." (by this time Razor had already started).
I apologized, and said I'd pick it up. This was not enough. He pointed to Razor--who was actively pooping--and repeated, "Please don't let your dog poop in my yard."
So I picked her up and moved her right then. And then I immediately picked up the offending poop.
And still the experience was not done--the man continued for another couple minutes telling me not to let my dog poop in his yard. "I don't have a dog. I don't want poop in my yard."
"I understand. I've picked it up. I'm sorry, she won't poop in your yard again."
"No disrespect to you, but please don't let your dog poop in my yard. I've had a bad experience with this before, back when I first moved into the neighborhood 16 years ago."
Razor and I begin to continue on our way.
"Please don't let your dog poop in my yard..."
I totally understand people not wanting dog poop in their yard. But I had bags. I picked it up. What did it really accomplish to have me physically remove Razor from his yard while she was pooping? Humiliation for both me and my dog? And really, the more he repeated his request and then added the disclaimers of no disrespect to me, the more it felt disrespectful.
A good walk ruined.
6 comments:
OK he was just plain rude. Even I wouldn't make you move your dog IN PROCESS! And I have to admit I'm pretty anal about poop on my lawn (too many bad experiences...although I have to admit it was mostly the cats!) Holy moly! Especially when you had bags there! Some people.
B
Yeah, I agree with B. That's pretty ridiculous. I'm pretty sure he got his point across the first time.
Clearly he doesn't care for dogs pooping in his yard, but how does he feel about people doing it? Cause if I lived any closer, I just might.
Where did you move her to while she was doing her business? Does he prefer the sidewalk? Maybe you should have asked if she might use his bathroom instead.
As a dog-less homeowner who has stepped in poop in my own yard, I sympathized with him - for a bit. I have even fantasized about following bag-less (and unscrupulous) dog owners home, and then leaving my own present on their porch. But I can't decide which bag is better - wrapped with a bow, or in flames. But don't get me wrong - this creep went too far ...
What he asked for was completely unreasonable, and I would have left the uncomfortable dilemma to him. If you refused to move Razor along mid-biz, he could either:
1. Assault you & Razor, OR
2. Let her finish and you clean up as you intended.
Even before revealing the 16-years-fresh trauma of poop on his shoe, he probably would have chosen #2 (I know - poor word choice in this context), rather than risk poop &/or dog bites on his hand.
I know you were trying to be a good neighbor, but his irrational insistence put poo before people (& pets), and probably precludes future friendly relations.
For the future musical re-enactment, I can play the part of the homeowner:
"Don't poop your dog in my back-yard, my back-yard, my back-yard. Don't poop your dog in my back-yard, my back-yard's full" (of poo)
Post a Comment