Monday, February 05, 2007

Why I *NEEDED* that big, heavy desk...

A number of weeks ago, as I was working on reclaiming our second bedroom, I found a crochet hook at the bottom of a box. Now, until that day the extent of my crocheting experiences was limited to finger-crocheting a belt or something in girl scouts. But there it was, in my apartment, a perfectly good crochet hook. Thank you, internet, for the pattern and instructions, including diagrams. Here's what I made:
I suppose my cell phone didn't really need a cute little cozy, but it seemed like an easy enough thing to start with. And actually, even though I had picture instructions, I still needed to call Mom and say, "OK, I'm trying to crochet, and I don't understand the instructions. They say 'Blah, blah, blah' but how does that work?"

And Mom said, "Well, you 'blah, blah, blah'." Somehow all it took was Mom quoting the instructions back to me for me to get it. She's just that good.

Shortly after my cell phone was snug as a bug, I moved on to another activity. I used leftover fabric from my shower curtain to make a little something to hang on the opposite wall of my bathroom.

Once I was finished with that, I decided to actually read the quilting book I found in Mom's library and she said I could have. And after reading it I decided to do more than just one block. Marty picked out the pattern from the book, and when I asked him how big I should make it, he suggested I make it as big as the book suggested ("crib size") and kindly reminded me that it was my first real pieced quilt. So now the quilt top is done, and I'm ready to put the layers together. Of course this quilt will have yarns, but I'm also considering doing some quilt stitching around the boats. We'll see. (As you can see, this is a project that Razor and Cher have really wanted to help out with too.)

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Congratulations on your first crochet and pieced quilt projects. Beware...these are very addictive!!!

Ree said...

wow! I am very impressed! And all you needed was a big heavy desk?...If I put a big heavy desk in my house, would I get lots of cute handicrafts done? Something tells me, no. Good work, Peanut.

Mark said...

Cool and crafty!

MMA Lady said...

I'm so envious of those who can sew . . . but almost afraid to learn how to sew . . . perhaps I should get me a big ol', heavy desk? What do you think, Peanut?

Taffy said...

Wow, those are great first projects! You are totally awesome

B said...

wow, you are awesome peanut! That desk is amazing!) I love the boat quilt!

Anonymous said...

I'm almost afraid to ask... What happens if our family gets RID of a big, heavy desk? I would hate to see all the fabulous crafty creations that people have given us over the years vanish, if that's what's in store. Urgz. Maybe the thrift store hasn't sold 'em yet and it's not too late...

Anita