Monday, June 04, 2007

Scientificity

Recently I've been trying to figure out what direction I want to take my career. I've realized that although I generally like research, it's not what I want to do forever. Late last summer I began thinking about careers in intellectual property. So starting with connections I already had I began conducting information interviews. The more I learned the more it seemed like a good fit for me.
One of the directions I could go is to become a Patent Agent. To do that I'd have to take and pass the Patent Bar. So I began looking into the details of that. Now, in order to take the Patent Bar you do not need to go to law school, but you do need to have a scientific background. You can demonstrate your scientific background in a couple of ways. The least complicated is to have a "Bachelor's Degree in a Recognized Technical Subject"
Greater than 50% of the list of recognized technical subjects include the word "Engineering". Not me. The closest fits are biology, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, and pharmacology. But my BS is in animal science. Unfortunately, I don't think that's close enough to any in the list--especially since later in the paperwork it specifically says that a degree in "Biological Sciences" (which sounds a whole lot like "Biology" to me) falls in the category of "Bachelor's Degrees in Other Subjects." And even those who have graduate degrees in one of their listed subjects must demonstrate that they are sufficiently science-y by meeting the same criteria as those with degrees in "Other Subjects".
So the option that looks best to me is to provide documentation to show that I've had 8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics and 24 semester hours in biology, botany, microbiology, or molecular biology. Easy enough.
Kind of.
You see, they want more documentation than just transcripts. They want course descriptions of all of the classes I'll be using to show my scientific-ness--course descriptions from the course catalogs of the year I took the class. Now I don't know about you, but I didn't happen to save all of the course catalogs from my years at BYU. Luckily BYU has many of the past course catalogs online (and I'm hoping that'll be good enough for the USPTO). But the online course catalogs only go back to 1997. Problem. I started in 1996.
I called BYU. The records office has one copy of older course catalogs, but no extras. They transfered me to Mail Services--because sometimes they have that sort of thing... Nope. They transfered me to Publications and Graphics. The woman I spoke to said she'd see what she could come up with. This afternoon I got a call back--turns out they keep 2 archived copies, but again, no spares.
I guess I'll be making a request for some photocopies.

7 comments:

Ree said...

Ridiculous! Would it just be easier to take a test prove your scientific knowledge?

Mark said...

Really it is a PROCESS test - to see if you tire when required to jump through inane bureaucratic hoops. If you make it through without giving up, then you join the elite class of the "Hoop Setters."

MMA Lady said...

Sounds complicated. Best of luck and let us know when you get your photocopies!

Christine said...

Yuck! It makes you wonder who comes up with some of this criteria. I trained a woman who wanted to go in to patent law...what about it interests you? Will you take a class to take the bar or do you study for it independently? Good luck getting those photocopies!

Boss said...

So let me get this straight. Your PhD in pharmacology, and multiple years of lab research is not evidence enough that you've had scientific training? You have to go back to undergraduate studies to prove you're a scientist?

Welcome to Crazyland!

Peanut said...

Ree, for those who don't have a sufficiently scientific bachelor's degree there's the option to take a Fundamentals of Engineering exam. I'm not sure how I'd fare on that one.
Mark, I've had the same thought.
Woodine, I like the idea of using my science expertise outside of the lab, working with a broad range of technologies, and actually dealing with applications of scientific discoveries. I think I will purchase some test prep material and study independently.
Yep, Boss, you summed it up pretty well.

B said...

Do you need me to take a hike up the hill to make some copies? Let me know!