Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Who knew?

The other night I was doing laundry and I washed a pillowcase that once upon a time had been a victim of a bloody nose. Well, the other night I decided that it was time for the quarter-sized blood-stain to come out or for the pillowcase to go. I actually had very little hope for the pillowcase. It's been washed and dried. I've tried spray and wash-type products on it, and I've tried oxyclean on it. But that stain was set in and wasn't budging.

But the other night I decided to see what the internet could suggest for set in, old blood-stains. There were a number of sites that suggested ammonia and hydrogen peroxide methodologies. And I didn't really think it would work, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Now, I didn't have any ammonia around, but I remembered that After Bite's active ingredient is ammonia. So I dabbed on a little After Bite and then poured on the hydrogen peroxide (yes, I completely disregarded all of those warnings about dilutions and checking for color-fastness, etc that each site with similar techniques had). Lo and behold! The blood stain started bubbling. And that stain? Began fading. I rinsed and repeated. And now there is no stain. (and it turns out the material was color-fast too).

Like magic. Cool, huh?

7 comments:

B said...

Yup! I love how great the H2O2 works on removing blood stains. Although I have never tried it in combination with ammonia. Isn't it fun to discover new things!?

Like Mike said...

Sorry I did not share the wisdom of the ages with you. I learned that at a drycleaners on my mission. We had the whitest shirts not on greenies. (It works on most bio-stains (i.e.: grass.) Although I have not preformed comprehensive, systemic, double-blind testing, just case studies.)((nor were any animals harmed in the testing.))

MMA Lady said...

Thank you for the tip! I'm always looking for things like this to help me with stains.

Unknown said...

that IS cool! (And you can definitely add me to your blogroll - I'm honored)

Jason said...

Today on Mythbusters they were busting pirate myths, and urine was found to remove blood stains better than alcohol or modern detergents. I suppose that would be because of the ammonia. I don't know what they used to get rid of the urine stains.

Peanut said...

Jason, welcome! I'll have to keep the urine method in mind for the next time I don't have any other source of ammonia!

Boss said...

Good work. Any tips for pureed carrots?