Friday, September 18, 2009

Belly Button Research

Today at work I was doing what I normally do--going through a number of patents. This sentence in one of the patent applications* caught my eye:
This invention was made with U.S. Government support under grant N00014-94-1-4457 from the Office of Navel Research.
Really? I wonder what the competition is like in getting a grant from the Office of Navel Research? And, how much is there to study about belly buttons? Maybe I left academia too soon.

*For those who want to check it out yourself, it's US patent application number 20050037975

3 comments:

Like Mike said...

Do not mock them! They are very important for our core defense. Besides, without navels our bottoms would fall off.

MMA Lady said...

This reminds me of the Veggie Tales song that my kids love to sing: "I've gotta tell you somethin' - I don't got a belly button!"

Ree said...

HA! Maybe there are oranges involved.