Sunday, September 24, 2006

Stress Anyone?

I'm the kind of girl who writes notes to herself on post-its. Or any other random little piece of paper. Sometimes the notes are phone numbers. Or recipes. Or books to read. Or ward events. Anything really. Marty is always trying to get rid of my little notes--to get rid of the clutter. In fact, when we got married, my "address book/phone directory" was a lot of such little notes stuck in a little plastic container. He pushed me to go digital and save them as outlook contacts. These days, I'll go to outlook, look up the information I want, write it on a little piece of paper, keep the piece of paper around awhile (until I'm sure I'm done with the information), and then dispose of it.

Anyway. I was going through things and trying to get rid of little pieces of paper. I found some notes from a seminar I attended on stress and dealing with the unexpected in life. I thought I'd share the few thoughts I'd written down:

Life has no guarantees. But we do have choices. Anything can happen--how do we deal with that? The best option that we all have been given is living.

Two weapons to get through the uncertainties of life: 1) Love; 2) Forgiveness.

Yes, life is stressful, but don't let that rob you of the beauty of life. Stress is part of life--neither good nor bad. You need it.

6 comments:

Ree said...

Well said, Dr. You are a great example of one who lives and learns with and through stress. I admire your grace and positive attitude.

B said...

Thanks for the insights! Plus LOL about the little notes everywhere...we must be related or something!

Boss said...

I too use the random-piece-of-paper filing system. It's got to be genetic.

Anonymous said...

Well, of course you know very well that your Dad uses his brain for his notes (aka Daytimer). Are you implying that when I get things like addresses or phone numbers and write them on the backs of envelopes (which become lost and misplaced) ... Are you implying there's a better way? The Mom

Peanut said...

No, Mom, I'm not implying there's a better way. That's my prefered way. I just try to work with Marty's anti-clutter desires. I've tried having a brain like Dad's, but it ends up going unused while I continue using random papers. :)

MMA Lady said...

I am not a frogmorton but have always used the pieces-of-paper filing system. Perhaps it is a behavior of a certain personality trait. Though I have done ya'll one better - I put all my scraps of paper into one (or two) certain drawer in my desk.
About stress - I need it sometimes, but just don't want it. Thanks for this post. I could probably de-stress my life by setting up a better filing system, but I think that the setting-up of the system would be too stressful for me.