Monday, October 23, 2006

Fall Fun

Last weekend we went to a "Pig Picking" which is apparently an Autumn tradition around here. The highlight of it was the Pinewood Derby. As you can probably tell from the flyer, it was not your normal Pinewood Derby. The winning car had a battery-operated propeller. But the second place car was the real surprise. It was a "Rock"et Car made by duct taping a garden rock to the 30 year old Pinewood Derby car that the owner had made as a cub scout.

So, my family and friends... what would your car be like?

5 comments:

Ree said...

We've got a real pine wood derby with official rules coming up, so I better not let my imagination wander with those kind of modifications.

Knowing your ward, I'm sure the activity was tons of fun. But what on earth is a pig picking?
And what do pine wood derby cars have to do with it?

MMA Lady said...

I saw that movie Down and Derby with Eliza - we thought it was very funny! But I didn't even realize that people actually still had pinewood derby races - in fact, I didn't even know what one was till I watched that film. Do you know if the participants of your pinewood derby set up secret wood shops in their bedrooms and spied on one another and tried to steal and modify one another's pinewood derby cars?

MMA Lady said...

And, oh, yeah, what exactly is a pig-picking?????

Peanut said...

A pig picking--basically it's a bbq thing. But you start with a roasted pig (in our case, I think it was half of one), and the "picking" part is that once the pig is roasted you pick and cut off the meat, chop it all up, and have it with BBQ sauce and sides like beans and slaw.

Mark said...

For a class in high school, we made rocket cars. We started with blocks of wood similar to pinewood derby cars, but about twice as long. Thrust was provided by a CO2 cartridge. The teacher had a rig to puncture the cartridge end, and the cars ran (shot) along 200 feet of fishing line, to keep the wheels / skids on the ground.