
This might not look like much, but it's a pan of yummy goodness, aka Seven Layer Cookies. I've always been a fan of these cookies. But I only got the recipe when I was out visiting Taffy a couple years ago. And even though I've had the recipe for a couple of years, this is my first time making them. I've just never had chocolate chips and coconut and sweetened condensed milk and the other 4 layers all together at the same time until tonight (when I went to the store to specifically get the 7 layers).
As I worked on these I thought about that visit to San Diego. And making snow flakes with Taffy's girls. And going to the Wild Animal Park. And just what a good time that was.
Also tonight Marty and I watched The Incredibles. My associations with that include Carolioness' date and how cute Nagol looks as Jack Jack. And when I watched it for the first time with Ree and Schmoo. I thought about Schmoo's character tutorial beforehand.
"This is Frozone. And this is Mr. Incredible."
"Oh. Is this Mrs. Incredible?"
"No. That's Elastigirl, or you can call her Helen. And this is Dash. This is Jack. I don't remember her name [Edna]...."
Oh yeah, and when I was bringing my groceries in I thought about how when Boss and I lived together and did our grocery shopping, it didn't matter how much stuff we had, we'd try with all of our might to get it all inside in one trip.
One night. Just four hours. What kind of memory triggers do ya'll have?
10 comments:
Oh, I love this post so much!
One of my memory triggers: there's a certain type of shower gel that my mom uses and every time I smell it, it makes me think of the time when my babies were born and how I felt, because my mom was around and I smelled her shower gel. Isn't that funny?
It's been a little chilly down here in Texas, and any kind of chilliness automatically triggers thoughts of Iowa! And I do have lovely memories from Iowa (Boss, if you're reading this, remember when we went to see all the covered bridges of Madison County???) like Eliza seeing snow for the very first time and wanting to keep it in the freezer.
When it's rainy and chilly, I think of fun times in San Francisco.
Right now I'm in the middle of buying Christmas presents, and anything that makes me think of Christmas makes me happy.
There's a thousand more - maybe I should do my own blog about it!
Thanks, Sonnet! Glad you had such a great night full of memories.
Mmmm! Sounds good! Post the recipe at Hey Mikey Likey
I watched The Incredibles in the theater and several times on DVD at home. The kids especially love Jack Jack Attack, and I like Bound and Rebound.
I think about our grocery habits pretty much every time I go shopping. It makes me laugh. But I don't even try to get it all in one trip anymore. Even with Sam to "help."
Tari- I do remember our tour of bridges. What a great trip! Earlier today, after witnessing a near accident, I remebered another adventure involving the two of us and a certain pinto. I'd parked somewhere (the high school, probably) and while we were inside someone had parked crookedly in the spot next to me. I didn't really know how to pull out of the parking space at an angle, so I backed up and pulled forward, readjusting the wheel by millimeters, about 17 times. It seems like we were going to drop off a friend of yours (though I don't remember who it was) and I noticed she looked concerned. So I explained that I was new to this whole driving thing, and that I'd hit a car the previous week so I was especially nervous. Only this morning did I realize how ridiculous I was to think that explaination would provide reassurance. Anyway, we all got home safely. And I didn't hit anything. Or anyone. That time.
Fun post, Peanut! I'll have to pay closer attention to memory triggers so I can share some more. (Perhaps on my own blog. I think I've taken up enough space on yours.)
Everytime I smell smoke from a wood fire I think of Yellowstone Park and the many family vacations we spent in the housekeeping cabins there.
What a nice reminder, SPH-1. I hadn't thought about the Yellowstone trips in years. They were so much fun.
Baking cookies triggers such a good memory for me of a time when I was NOT employed outside the home and was baking cookies when my son, K--, came in the door and said something like 'Oh, mom, the house smells so much better to come home to when you are here and not at work. Thanks for bringing up memories. LoveYa, Aunt Bboop
Whenever I smell cedar, I remember the dressing rooms at the Hill Cumorah and being cast members in the Pageant.
Speaking of smells, do you remember how turning on the air conditioner in the house in Arkansas made it smell like it smelled when we just moved in? Only, we didn't really notice the smell when we first moved in. And the weird smell currents. That house had weird smell currents.
Why do we all like to try to bring ALL the groceries inside in one trip? Maybe we developed it from when Mom would ask us to help bring the groceries in, and we didn't what it to take us away from what we were doing for too long.
I believe I would recognize the smell of the AR house, but I don't remember the weird smell currents.
Remember to post the recipe.
I agree. Please, post the recipe! Aunt Bboop
I am in Tahleqah, Oklahoma trying to do my homework and I decided that the Seven Layer Cookies look yummy. Would you mind sending the reciepe to Em and have her overnight them to me. I am hungry. Thank you, Jemely
Post a Comment