For Labor Day weekend Marty and I took a quick trip to Washington, D.C. We had a great time seeing some of the sights and just getting away for a couple of days. On Monday as we were leaving Mount Vernon to head home I had a sudden realization—I’d left my blanket in the hotel room. My blanket that I made when I was 12 as a first year at girls camp. My blanket that Pogo liked to snuggle under. My blanket that while we lived apart Marty insisted must stay with him because it smelled like me. My blanket that’s needed to be completely recovered and is now the perfect heaviness and softness—Great for or sitting on at a campfire or riding in the car on roadtrips and yarning with (unless I’m driving, and then it must be in the backseat). My blanket that has been admired by many a niece and nephew because it has cars and trucks on it. And who doesn’t like cars and trucks—especially when they’re being driven by bears and dogs?
Although I considered asking to return to the hotel right then, I thought that was too extreme and the situation could be fixed with a phone call. So, I immediately called the hotel and left a long detailed message for the Lost-and-Found Dude. And in the next week or so I left more messages. No call back. Finally today Marty was able to get a response to his message (I think left with the General Manager). Lost-and-Found Dude said nothing matching its description has been turned in, but that the cleaning lady for the floor where we stayed was off today. Lost-and-Found Dude said he would talk to her tomorrow and call Marty back (but that it’s their policy to turn everything in).
I’m afraid that it’s gone for good. And that makes me sad.
7 comments:
Oh no! I'm so sorry! That just sucks!
I'll help you make another. I know it won't be the same ...
I'm sorry, Peanut. I hope that you will get it back.
Maybe there is still hope. Big Z left his blanket at a hotel once, and it did make it back to us. Of course, it happened without the help of incompetent hotel staff.
That's just terrible. I know how you feel though. I had this little stuffed doll. His name was Buddy. He had "Britt's Buddy" silk screened on his chest in a little heart. He had floppy ears like a bunny and stuffed arms and legs. His body was sort of irregular like a giant potato of sorts. Anyway our neighbor gave him to me after my sophmore or junior year of high school for driving her son to school all year. He was the perfect size to put behind your head or between your chin and shoulder. I took him everywhere and slept with him EVERY night. I packed him up in every suitcase. He went to Spain twice, lived in the dorms and 3 apartments at college and even went on our honeymoon. To make a long story even longer... He went to the hospital when I had my first child and must have been left in the bed when they moved me from delivery up to the maternity ward. I was in really bad shape and not really with it at the time. I did't realize he was gone until the next day or so and they said they send their laundry out. Of course I got a hospital that outsourced their laundry!! I never did get him back. It was crushing. I did make another one but it wasn't quite the same as the original. Sorry for such a long saga. I hope you get your blanket back!
I hope you get it back! Do you remember princess A's squirrel? She lost it in that bad car accident. We never got it back and I have cried and cried about it! On a good note, Princess A now has a poodle that is her favorite. I hope you find your original, though!
OH, so sad. I can send you my pink one. Remember how they kinda matched? It hasn't been loved quite as much as yours and it hasn't been recovered but when I see it I remember that yearling year at girls camp with you and I smile. I'm so sorry your lovely blanket is gone. I hope it can be found and returned.
Post a Comment