Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Whale Watching

A couple weeks ago I went to a conference in Ventura, California. It was pretty good. Really science-y. But the best part was taking an afternoon and going whale watching. Here are some pictures from the trip.

Yep, that's me.
Looking back at the shore.
Do you see the whale spray? These were grey whales. We followed them for awhile. There were two of them swimming together. In fact, I think there's the last part of the other whale's spray off to the right of the one in the center of this photo.
This shot shows a nice view of the whale's "fingerprint". Apparently the pattern on the underside of a whale's tale is like our fingerprints--every whale is different with a unique pattern.

On the way back in to shore we also saw a bunch of dolphins. But I don't have any cool pictures of them.

Very cool trip.

5 comments:

Boss said...

awesome!

CAROLIONESS said...

Cool! Will you take me next time?

Taffy said...

Awesome! That is a cool picture of the whale's tale. Also, call me when you come out this way again!

MMA Lady said...

That is beautiful! When I lived in CA, I went to Pt. Reyes when the whales were passing through. I didn't see them nearly as clearly as you did on your trip. It must have been amazing!

Ray said...

Great pictures. You look presidential with the flag flying behind you. And Yaƫl said that you look "glamorous."