Friday, October 24, 2008

Memories of an Older Sister

So with the recent arrival of Jr. Mint, I've been thinking about when Daisy was born.

I was in first grade and I remember being a little disappointed when on the morning of June 4, I went to school and written in large letters across the chalkboard was "Price Flurry has a new baby sister!" After all, it took some of the thunder out of my chalkboard announcement the next day about my new baby sister.

I remember that not long after Daisy was born, when Mom and Daisy were still in the hospital, I was sick, or didn't feel well, or otherwise didn't want to go to school. I don't think I realized what kind of burden that put on Dad. But he worked it out and I went to the office with him and spent the day at Dad's desk and visiting with the ladies there.

Dad had a box of Ande's mint candies to give out--I remember having a few of them. I also remember having a conversation with one of the ladies at Dad's work about how I had a new sister. She asked how many brothers and sisters I had now. I told her. "Eight."

She thought, surely, that couldn't be right. After all, I was six (almost seven). What does a six-year-old know? Not how to count to 10, or how big her family is, apparently. Anyway, because she didn't think I could be right, she checked with Dad, who confirmed that sure enough, Daisy was number nine.

2 comments:

Like Mike said...

And I am still greatful that I have more sisters than you!

Anonymous said...

LOL! That is so funny. So sorry that prince flurry took the wind from your sails when before Daisy was born...sounds like you had a hard week that week!-)

B