Heartworm test? Check. Vaccinations? Check. Heartworm, flea, and tick treatments? Check.
I left the vet $100+ poorer. And to some extent I'm amazed at how much it all costs. But when I think about what my pets have brought to my life, I think it's all worth it.

I think about Pogo and how he'd sleep all day, but he knew when it was time to get up and wait by the door for us kids to come home from school. Or there were the times that Pogo desperately wanted to be with the family at the top of the stairs for family prayer. I even think fondly on the time when he was feeling sick to his stomach and decided he should go lie down--in my bed. And I don't think any of us have ever had any regrets about choosing Pogo's intestinal surgery over Christmas.
And Razor is such a sweetheart! Even Anita called her a "charmer." When Anita told the kids that Aunt Sonnet was going to come for a visit, the first question was, "Is Razor coming too?" As I sit here typing I'm a little lonely because Razor has gone with Marty on a day hike. So I don't have her here sleeping on my feet. I don't know if Razor would be able to drag me from the car to safety, but when we drove to Arizona last summer she definitely seemed to think that protecting me while I slept for a few minutes was her responsibility.
Not too long after we got him, I remember asking Mom if she liked Pogo. "I like the effect he's had on the family." Me too.
9 comments:
Yeah, dogs are pretty great, but they do have a way of complicating some parts of life. The realtor helping us find an apartment in Ohio called to say she wasn't finding any apartments because of our dog. But then, for some reason she thought we had a German Shepherd!
One of the apartments has a $250 fee for a dog up to 25 pounds and $500 fee for a dog 26 pounds or more. Malcom is 25 pounds and unknown ounces. He's gettin' haircut and a diet before movin' day!
Good luck with apartment finding with a dog! I know how that can be tricky and expensive.
You sure got a cute dog Sonnet!
Do you ever wonder what pogo would have said if he could talk? I just finished the first book of the Chronicles of Narnia-so I was just wondering. He was always such a good dog and meant a lot to us all. Pets are great friends!
I didn't know mom said that about Pogo! I know we all loved, but how exactly did we change?
I've never really cared much for dogs. I guess they are alright as long as they keep their hair and slobber to themselves. Keith though is a dog lover so I'm sure we will end up with one sometime. My friend was giving away a puppy for free last week (boxer lab mix) and I almost took her home. Then I thought about how we are moving really soon. There is so much to do I think a dog might be too much.....but for some reason I can't stop thinking about her. Maybe she was really supposed to be my dog.
I,too, am not fond of dog hair, dog slobber or dog stink. But I don't remember being bothered by that stuff when I shared a residence with Pogo. Maybe it was because I was younger, and not the primary housekeeper, and therefore, not as concerned about cleanliness. Or maybe I just loved Pogo enough that those things were insignificant to me. I also remember when Mom made that comment about Pogo. And yes, I think there was a change--more joy and excitement. I might compare it to when there was a new baby in the house, but you may not remember that either Caroline. I think of Mom's comment on occasion when my children ask for a pet. (so far Zac has a fish, low maintenance, yes, but somehow, the bonding is not the same. Go figure.) It wouldn't suprise me if we give in to the dog thing by the time Emma is 5. She LOVES dogs!
Yeah, dogs are smelly and hairy and slobbery. Kinda like babies. ;)
For those who don't like slobber and hair, etc. I wouldn't recommend getting an English Mastiff. :)
Post a Comment