Next yummy thing. I was remembering the Sunday night popcorn tradition that had its heyday in the Williamsville era. Soon I was thinking about peanut butter popcorn. But mom didn’t have the recipe. I consulted the wisdom of the Internet, and found a recipe that seemed OK. Last night I tried it. Good! So for those who are interested: ½ c. sugar, ½ c. light corn syrup, ½ c. creamy peanut butter, 1 tsp. vanilla. In a saucepan heat sugar, corn syrup and peanut butter until smooth and close to boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour over 6 c. popped popcorn. Enjoy! No, it’s not really a healthy snack, but it’s yummy.
Finally, this has nothing to do with food. For those who were at the Burton, OH Henrichsen Christmas Holiday, you may remember the boxes I gave to the kids. For those who weren’t there—Here’s what I did: for each niece and nephew who was there I had a little plastic treasure box with his or her name on it. To fill the boxes I spent a lot of time in the dollar store. A few months ago I got this thank you note. I thought it was too cute not to share. (Zac got a cd computer game as part of his treasure box gift.)
14 comments:
I am just disapointed I did not get one!!!
Great job Doc. They were great.
And great job Momma Ree, and Zack! - Props for the thank you note!
Half & half does make things yummy. And when you're used to drinking skim milk, whole milk is almost as good. I always kindof like it when we run out of grownup milk (skim) and have to drink Sam's (whole).
Also, Zac is cute.
Yeah, sometimes I I drink the kids whole milk for a "treat" but half and half is even better. Once we ran out of milk but we did have half and half left over from a preschool activity. My kids loved it on their cereal.
Good and tasty stuff that 1/2 & 1/2, on anything or by itself!
Having to drink the store-bought stuff after growing up on whole / raw milk was torture, but alas, ones tasted do adapt and the memories fade. Bottom line, milk fat TASTES GOOD, but it can be a keeper inside of the body!
Daddy-Omicron
Always suckers for a discount, Boss and I bought a clearance ice cream maker a while back. The recipes generally call for cream, not milk or half and half, bringing the indulgence to a new level.
But although the flavor is nice, I can't help but think of all that cream getting absorbed into my blood (scientifically speaking, of course) and then churning into butter as it circulates around clogging off all end organs and bring about my demise.
Oh, cream. My tragic love...
I'll add my verse to the "Ode to Milk Fat".
Milk is good
Cream is great
I always want to lick the plate!
Somehow the thought of that "butter" floating around in my blood doesn't prevent the occaissional ice cream indulgence, although it does make us drink "adult" milk!
And great job on the Christmas treasure boxes, Sonnet! Sounds like they were a hit!
Daddy Omicron--Do you have an older brother named Daddy Omega? Just wondering. :)
We have a Cuisinart ice cream maker and have the same issue as Coach and Boss - all the recipes call for straight cream (you know, the hard stuff!), and the recipe book says that you can leave it out, but the flavor won't be as good. Duh! And man, is that ice cream good with regular old, all-fat, nothing taken-away cream!!! I have recently switched to fat-free milk (or milk water, as I like to call it) because I'm trying to improve my health. But I miss whole milk.
I'll be sure to show Zac this post in the morning. He'll be very excited to see it. And I'm sure he'll want us to make some peanut butter popcorn. I had asked mom about that recipe, too.
Daddy-Omega?
No, but I have a greek-leaning brother called...
Now, where is he when he should be speaking up?
That whats-his-name brother of mine.
oh yeah, you can substitute honey for the corn syrup in the peanut butter popcorn.
Last night we ran out of milk. But we had half & half. Even pasta roni stroganoff tastes good with a little half & half!
And fresh peaches in season are especially good with half & half. Ummmmmm Auntie "O" Bboop
ummmmmmmm...fat...
Post a Comment