Friday, March 03, 2006

Jobs

Marty has been spending time lately working on his resume and getting ready to get a new job. With the help of a number of books and our stake employment specialist, Marty got a very nice resume together (at least I thought it was good). This afternoon he hand delivered the resume, an application, and cover letter for a job. Before he even got home from dropping it off, the hiring manager had left a message on the home phone wanting to chat with Marty. We thought that was a pretty good sign. In the coming weeks Marty will be applying for more positions, so hopefully he will be able to find one that will be a good fit for him.

As for my job, it's going well. No exciting data or anything yet, but I think I have some interesting things in progress. Of course, funding is always an issue. This week my boss sent an to my group saying that we were way ahead of schedule on our spending and needed to slow down dramatically. Turns out he was looking that the numbers for a different group. Once we figured that out we all started breathing a little easier--it's not an issue of our paychecks being affected, but it's kind of impossible to do research without spending money. And without research, we can't publish. And if you don't publish, you perish. Them's the facts of life for a biomedical researcher.

Razor has really taken to her position as household manager. She is especially dilligent in overseeing all kitchen activities and managing the visitor relations department. I think she's vying for a promotion to expand her duties to cover the entire building and not just our apartment. (Don't tell her this, but I just don't think she's got enough experience to merit that kind of promotion yet.)

2 comments:

Malcom said...

If Razor would like a letter of recommendation, I am pretty well connected.

Taffy said...

Good to hear things are going well. Plus, I fixed the link from my page. Sorry about that.