Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Neverending Question

A movie that I liked when I was young was The Neverending Story. I haven't seen this movie or even thought about it in over a decade. But there has always been a lingering question about that movie.

The movie climaxes when the main character Bastian discovers that he needs to help save Fantasia by giving the Childlike Empress a name. He thinks, "My mother had a beautiful name." He runs to the window, throws it open and screams at the top of his lungs--something. And that has been the mystery all these years, what the heck is the name he screams out the window? I remember rewinding that part of the movie over and over again to see if we could possibly figure it out. Mosia-ho? Huh?

So the other night when it did pop into my head, I sought to find the answer to that elusive question. With the magic of the internet I figured I could finally find a satisfactory answer. The internet consensus is that he yelled "Moon Child" out the window. Somehow I still feel somewhat unstatisfied with this answer--maybe I need to watch the movie again to believe it.

12 comments:

Boss said...

"Moon Child" doesn't sound right to me either. We should probably try watching it with subtitles.

Anonymous said...

What a gyp! I just watched that scene with subtitles and when Bastian runs to the window and screams, they don't subtitle the name!
It does mostly sound like Moon Child if it's a name in English. It could be Moooooosiiiiiaaaaal.

Anonymous said...

Ok, they have the option to watch the movie dubbed in French on the DVD. I don't know French but I wondered if he would make the same sounds for the name. HE DOESN'T! In French, Bastian says something like "Mah-mee Dah" or "Mah-ree Dah." Any ideas about what that might mean in French?

Peanut said...

No subtitles on the screaming of the name? Man, that's just not right. If it's such a beautiful name, why be so bashful about letting us know what it is? According to Dictionary.com's translator, Moon Child translated into French is "Enfant de lune" and into German (since it was a German-produced film) is "Mondkind". Oh well.

MMA Lady said...

I always thought his mom's name was Lisa.

B said...

I remember rewinding that part of the movie again and again too...did we do that together? Because I have always thought it was Mosiah-ho(!?), too. And any time I see someone throw open a window, I think "Mosiah-ho!" at the top of my lungs--at least in my head it's at the top of my lungs.

What a shame that subtitles and foriegn languages still don't clear up the mystery!

Boss said...

I think the rewinding may have been a cousin-family activity. I thought it was "Mosiah-ho" also. And I have a vague recollection of a bunch of fresins being there too.

Taffy said...

I am sure we were all there for the "let's figure out what that name is" rewinding. I have heard lots of people say it's Moon Child but still it doesn't sound right to me. Maybe at reunion we can watch it again and see if we gain any new insight.

MMA Lady said...

You guys sure it's not Lisa?

Boss said...

I think Amy could be right. Lisa seems much more likely than Mosiah-ho or Moon Child. Seriously, who would name a kid "Moon Child." Now, "Mosiah-ho" I can understand, but "Moon Child"? No way.

Peanut said...

I'm fine with Lisa if you guys are. Let's vote on it. Also, I'm glad I never made a vow to name my first daughter after Bastian's mother because 1) I'm not sure what Bastian's mother's name is and 2) I'm not a big fan of Moon Child or Mosiah-ho. Lisa wouldn't be the top of my list, but if I were in a position such that making that vow was important, "Lisa" wouldn't keep me from making it.

Jesse Jace said...

My mother had the most beautiful name. "MOESHA!!!"