Sunday, March 12, 2006

Naked Blogging

I love that Shana started blogging and sharing her life and family events with us so long ago. I love that through blogs I have a great little network of sisters, brothers, cousins, friends, etc that can keep in touch and have conversations with each other even though we live so far apart. I love the stories and pictures. I love the connectivity that we can have through blogging and commenting.

And at the same time, I’m afraid of blogging. I’m afraid of offending. And I’m afraid of really putting myself out there and really sharing some of the things in my head and heart. Heck, I was journaling for a long time before I even felt comfortable writing much more than just a listing of daily events. And putting myself out there online is all the more risky.

I think what it comes down to is the public but also intimate nature of blogging. It’s like I’m revealing myself—getting naked—in front of everyone who might be watching. And though I know myself, not everyone else knows all of my dimples and moles and scars. And maybe if they do, they won’t think the whole Sonnet is beautiful.

I hope that as I continue blogging it will become easier for me to share the things that are me. I know that primarily my audience is family and friends who love me. And I’m pretty sure that they love me unconditionally. (Isn’t it great that love can be so strong!?)



Shakespeare's Sonnet #130
My mistress's eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lip's red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun,
If hair be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
In some perfumes there is more delight
Than the breath with which my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know,
Music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

6 comments:

John said...

Sonnet, I think you would make an excellent South Park Character...

Boss said...

That's my second favorite Sonnet. (You're the first.)

B said...

Ditto!

Anonymous said...

If bueaty is only skin deep why stop at naked?
An idea that may be only half baked.
I'll take all'yall's as you'ns are.
Even if if it is not near, but far.
You put up with me, though teased to tears.
I am wart free for the first time in years.
Yet, You have loved me as I am --
Another uncle of our nephew Sam.

not bill s

MMA Lady said...

Sonnet, I love this post. I think that when I started blogging, I let way too MUCH of myself come out! Because I seriously thought that no one was reading it!!! Even though I sent out an e-mail telling everyone, "Hey, come look at my blog!" I thought they, like me, didn't really have time . . . until you start blogging and reading everyone else's blogs and then . . . well, it's taken on a life of its own! So now I sometimes think, "Wow, folks are reading this!" And I'm a lot more careful about what I say and how I say it. I've never wanted to hurt/ offend anyone over anything, and it seems that things are more touchy in cyberspace, because you can't even see their immediate reactions. But, like you said, those that read my blog are people that love me anyway, flaws and all. And everyone's been kind. And I love your blog, Sonnet!

Trick said...

I feel the same way about blogs. Besides my laziness, that is the main reason I have not started a blog, despite all the peer pressure. I just feel really weird about having things that are really just for friends and family totally out there for anyone. And, I do have different types of friends and family members. Some, I want to share everything with, others, I'd like to be more selective with. That is what I like about emails. I may not control where they get forwarded, but I can control the general direction. Blogs are just out of control. So, good for you for biting the bullet and doing it despite your nudity. It's great to have the updates.