Sunday, June 04, 2006

Tumbling Thoughts

A month ago my life changed. And in the month since, I have felt encircled in the arms of God's love. I have seen miracles nearly every day in Marty's progress. So many people have done so much for us. So much kindness and love. So many prayers offered on our behalf.

One of the things that I am most grateful for is that when my mind and heart are troubled it doesn't take long for new thoughts to start tumbling through my head. And I can find peace.

Here are some of those tumbling thoughts that have helped me:

"Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

"Our Savior’s love
Shines like the sun with perfect light,
As from above
It breaks thru clouds of strife.
Lighting our way,
It leads us back into his sight,
Where we may stay
To share eternal life."
Edward L. Hart

"Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom,
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
the distant scene--one step enough for me."
John Henry Newman


"Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev’ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

"Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below."
Katharina von Schlegel, trans. by Jane Borthwick

4 comments:

Froga-lee said...

Those "pop up" thoughts are such a blessing, especially when worries keep crowding in and knocking at the door.
Thank you for sharing those tender thoughts of love.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful....just beautiful. They are a great strength to me too. Thank you.

Ree said...

Sonnet, when I think of you and Marty, it puts my own challenges in perspective. How can I whine and worry when you are enduring so well? Your faith and courage are truly an inspiration to me. Keep thinking those positive thoughts--and thanks for sharing them. Love you.

MMA Lady said...

These are some beautiful thoughts tumbling through your mind and heart. Thank you for posting them, and I agree with ree. We pray for you so often. Your strength is such a testimony to me. Thank you so much for sharing all of these things with us. I really believe that sharing struggles and bearing up one another's burdens is so important in this community of humanity. Thank you for your example, Sonnet.