This week I’ve noticed pity and sadness in people's eyes when they come to visit Marty and their visit is filled by me using gauze pads to wipe up and catch what Marty coughs out of his trach tube. And I get it. This hospital scene stands in such stark contrast to their own memories of Marty. And in that sense, yes, it’s pitiful and sad.
But what I see is Marty’s progress. No, he’s not the Marty of a month ago, but he’s not the Marty of two weeks ago either. He has come a long way from that night in the emergency room when I asked the surgeon if he’d be OK and was told, “I don’t know.” He’s no longer in critical care. He knows me. He sees me. He loves me. He smiles. He walks. He’s stubborn. He lets me know what’s on his mind. And, as of yesterday, he pees without a foley catheter. I know this might not sound like too much. But for me, it is all miraculous, and I’m thankful for it all—even if it means I sometimes get the not-so-glamorous job of catching what Marty coughs up.
Other news: Sue, John, and Razor had craft time today. Here’s what they made.


Also, I think Razor has a crush on John. It’s funny to watch her maneuver to be the center of John’s attention. And I think Razor would be in heaven if John would let her lick him continuously. But alas, at some point he says, “That’s enough.”
7 comments:
Thank you for sharing the joy and gratitude of each baby step. Your positive attitude and devotion is an inspiration, Sonnet. Keep your chin up and keep counting those miracles!
I am so glad to hear about Marty's progress. You both are continuously in my prayers. Love to you both, Aunt Betty
Hey Peanut--
I am so proud of you and you are such an example of what true love and devotion are. I am honored that I am able to call you my friend.
thinking of you
Christina
Maybe John tastes really, really good!
Sonnet, I'm so glad that Marty is making good progress. Your strength amazes me. I'm praying for you and Marty daily. Thanks so much for posting reports.
Also, that's one amazing dog you have - writing and everything. Good dog!
I know how his visitor's must feel as my own thoughts have turned to my memories of Marty as I picture the condition he is in now. It has made me sad. But now I have something else to picture when my mind sees Marty in bed. I see a loving wife with kindness and tenderness reaching out to help him with daily things. I see love in their eyes as they look at eachother. I see smiles exchanged and hope for improvement each day- as it surely does come. Thank you for painting this beautiful picture in my mind. It comforts me and reminds me of the power of love. As a member of the Arlander family I can say how thankful we are that Marty has a wife with so much love for him. We are thankful to have you in our family. Give Marty three squeezes for me will ya- ?
love, emmy
Isn't it great to see how much our Heavenly Father loves us! And I am so grateful to have you as my sister! Tell Marty that I love him!
Post a Comment