Monday, May 01, 2006

Monday Sampling

Let’s say you were asked to write a short essay (we’ll call it an “abstract”). Say it was supposed to be on some of your after-school activities. So you decide to write about riding your bike and walking your dog, and you address each of these with a few sentences of support. Probably you wouldn’t want to end your little essay like this “I enjoy the things I do after school like riding my bike, eating slugs, and walking my dog.” Would you?

I’m in a book club! We met for the first time last week. It was fun. I like the chance it gives me to get to know some of the women in my ward a little better. Our book for next month is Mere Christianity. I’m excited about that since that has been on my “to read” list for a long time, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.

Tonight as I drove home, I drove fast and with the music loud. In actuality it was rush hour, and you can’t really go all that fast during rush hour. But I wanted to drive fast. The loud music was really the first radio station not playing commercials, which happened to be the Christian rock station. So I was singing “I can only imagine”—loudly (for those not familiar with that song, it’s sort of along the theme of “I wonder when he comes again” but with a bass line, if that helps). By the time I got home I had driven and sung my frustrations out. Turns out it was loud and fast enough.

Lately we have been enjoying Firefly, a television series that aired on the Sci-Fi channel and is now on DVD. Also, we watched the movie Serenity, which is sort of a sequel to the series. I think some of y’all would also enjoy this series and movie.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peanut~

Your randomness makes me laugh. What's more exciting is that I get to see you in less than a month! :) Can we get one of those countdown clocks somewhere and post it on the blog -- a countdown to graduation?

Christina

Peanut said...

Christina--I'll have to consult with some of my computer savvier family members (ie Coach) to see about getting a graduation countdown. I'm excited!

Trick said...

Sonnet, that "Only Imagine" is one of my very very favorites. Daniel has also said he really likes it too, so I guess we can start a club now. Anyway, thanks for the sharing of the funny blog. Sometimes I like to blare Christian Rock too. Sometimes Aunah and Isaak like it, and sometimes Aunah wants it OFF.

MMA Lady said...

I do love Mercy Me, and I hear their new album is even better than there old stuff . . . if you can only imagine! I took a test and learned a few years ago that I am "abstract random" in the way that I think or process, the way that I learn and accomplish tasks, and the way I live my life in general. So this post was right up my alley!

Ree said...

Mere Christianity is one of my favorite books, and "I Can Only Imagine" is one of my favorite songs, too! We like a lot of the same things. Maybe we are sisters. I'll have to check out Fireflies and Serenity. Also slugs. Which flavor do you recommend?

Anonymous said...

I would recommend the "Banana Slugs" raised in the Pacific Northwest. If they get too soft and squishy, you could always make "Banana Bread." Auntie B