The other day as I entered Marty’s room, he had the room phone in his hand and was dialing. He saw me, hung up, and stood up to greet me. Who was he calling? Me. Now, it didn’t occur to me until later to wonder just what the next step would have been had I not walked in the door. What kind of phone conversations does someone with his jaw wired shut have?
Does it really matter? Maybe he’s not calling to say something. Maybe he’s calling to hear something—me talking. And that didn’t seem so odd at all. In fact, it was cute. So that night I told him that if he wanted to call me, he could anytime. And the next night I wrote down my work and home numbers just in case. Today while I was at work, my phone rang. Caller ID said it was the hospital. I answered. Didn’t hear anything on the line and hung up (figuring it was somehow the voicemail that I had just hung up with). A minute later, the phone rang again. Again, the hospital.
Hello?
(breathing noises)
Marty, is that you?
(more breathing noises)
I love you.
(three distinct breathing noises)
And so it continued for a minute or so with me mostly just rambling until he hung up and the line was dead.
He called again in the afternoon. I got a little smarter and suggested that 2 taps or whatevers meant yes, 1 meant no, and of course, we knew what 3 meant. Again I was rambling on for awhile when there were three long and loud sounds from the pushing of phone buttons, as if to say, “Hey, why are you ignoring me? I have something important to say!” He’d been giving three taps, but I just wasn’t paying attention.
Note to self: Conversations still go two ways—even when you’re on the phone with someone who can’t talk, you still need to listen!
11 comments:
Glad to hear Marty's in good spirits! I never knew heavy breathing could be so sweet.
I'm so glad you figured out a way to communicate over the phone. It sure is nice to get "I love you" calls in the middle of the day. Plus, with all that heavy breathing over the phone, he must really like you.
I understand how it feels just to want to hear someone's voice. That is really sweet and must make you feel good to have some one breathing heavy over you:)
Communication is not just talking-as we know.
We are glad you are his wife and with him. We love you.
How sweet! It must feel so good to know how much Marty loves you: He calls you just to say I love you and to hear the sound of your voice. You two are lucky to have each other. I hope you are finding a special way to celebrate your love today. Happy Anniversary!
You guys are so cute! I'm so happy that you figured out how to do the phone conversations. I know I really look forward to talking to Devin each day, if just for the change in routine. Plus thanks for the reminder that conversations really are two-way, even if one party has hiw jaw wired shut!
Happy Anniversary!
I've been thinking of you guys today, and sending you telepathic bursts in groups of threes. I thought about sending "Happy Anniversary" thought bursts too, but I couldn't decide if "anniversary" has four or five syllables. So I decided to just stick with three squeezes. I love you guys! I hope you had a nice anniversary!
Happy anniversary!!!
Happy anniversary!!!
Happy anniversary!!!
Mom and Dad
Simple ways of communcation are the best. Things get so complex to fast. I'm so glad you two have each other. I hope your anniversary was nice... I was thinking of you.
love jamie
That is really darling! It is amazing how much it means to us to be able to hear the voices of the ones we love! Just think, even when you are reading words written by someone whose voice you know, you can kind of actually hear them saying the words. Does that make sense?
Anyways, I love you (and Marty) and I hope you had a great anniversary!
I guess I missed your anniversary! I hope it was nice. This is a very sweet post and it says so much about communication and listening. Thank you for sharing it.
It is so neat to hear all the cute things that go on between you two. I love having the updates and uplifting stories.
May be if you learn which tones match certain numbers on the phone pad, Marty could send you coded messages (if you could put up with all the beeping).
Post a Comment