Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I scream, you scream

Christie Sue and John left yesterday morning. Razor noticed them packing their suitcases, and each time one of them would take a trip of stuff to the car, she’d cry at the door. We said goodbye at the car, and I think Razor would have been perfectly happy to hop in the car and go with them. As it was, it took some persuasion to get her back upstairs to the apartment. And then after they left she wanted to go outside again, I think to find them. She immediately ran to the space where their car had been. She sniffed around, checked out some of the nearby sidewalks ( just in case they betrayed her and had snuck off to a different apartment), and rechecked the parking space.

When I first told Marty about his card from Razor, he got very excited. And then I had to tell him that I’d left it at home accidentally. He shook his finger at me as if to say, “Shame on you!” Fortunately I remembered it the next day. He really liked the card. And he wrote “I haven’t seen our puppy in a few days. :(” Yesterday I remedied that. On my first visit to the hospital I took Razor along too. She waited in the car for awhile, and I arranged with Marty’s nurse for him to go outside on the grounds. Razor was a little unsure of the whole thing. She’s apparently not a big fan of wheelchairs. But she was very good. And Marty definitely liked having her around. I think we’ll be doing that again soon.

Also, yesterday I gave Marty a haircut. I was telling Marty that it looked OK, but he probably wouldn’t ever want me to give him a haircut again as I wasn’t very adept with the clippers. He pointed out that unlike other haircuts he’s gotten, this one was free.

Over the past couple days before I’ve left the hospital I’ve asked Marty if there’s anything he needs or wants me to bring him. His answer is pretty consistent: Ice cream, specifically an ice cream cone. I’ve promised him that as soon as he’s allowed to have ice cream, I will get him as much as he wants. And in case I forget, he’ll keep reminding me that’s what he wants.

6 comments:

Ree said...

Have you asked Marty if there is a particular flavor of ice cream he is craving?

B said...

A man after my own heart;) That's the first (and last) thing I ask for! I'm sorry Razor misses John and Sue so much! They are fun and wonderful people to have around, plus John obviously tastes good!
How awesome that Marty got to go out and visit with Razor! I hope they get to visit again very soon!
We're still praying and rooting you both on, Sonnet! We love you. Thank you for the wonderful updates!

Anonymous said...

We are greatful for your blessings. Thanks for helping us count them. We love you and pray for you. Daddy-A

Daisy said...

Good thing we consistently tested available flavors for quality.
I sure am glad you have that cute Razor dog. She's a sweetie, despite her tendency to attack passing cyclists.

MMA Lady said...

I'm with Marty - ice cream is definitely an essential!!! I'm glad Razor got to visit him and that you got to give him a stylish (and free!) haircut. I am sure you gave him a great haircut. The few times I tried to cut Eliza's bangs, they kept getting shorter and shorter as I tried to fix their crookedness. It was awful. I'm sure Marty's hair looks fantastic!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dad had read this before I did and told me a few days ago. Then when I read it today I felt the same way I did then- "I want Marty to have ice cream!" I have never wanted anyone to have ice cream as bad as I have for him! Including my self, and I really love ice cream!