Friday, May 12, 2006

A good day!

Today was a good day. Marty is doing well. This morning he patted his bed, and I asked if he wanted me to sit on the bed with him. I indicated the bottom of the bed. He shook his head “no” and patted his lap. So into his lap I got. He put his arms around me and rested his cheek against mine. We sat like that for a few minutes. It was perfect.

He is using his whiteboard. Once, I was in the hall as he and his mom were talking and using the whiteboard. I came in the room and said something like, “Oh, what are you writing?” Marty pulled the board close to him as if to let me know that it was between him and his mom and none of my business. So cute!

It broke my heart and made me want to cry to see tears fall from his eyes a couple of times as he was having procedures done. One of the most draining (for him) but also exciting parts of the day was when the physical therapist came and we helped him get up out of bed to walk around the halls a bit. He did very well.

Tomorrow he is scheduled for the next stage of surgery. I’m glad about that because throughout the week as I’ve seen his improvements I’ve been eager for the doctors to schedule this.

On the homefront, I’m glad to have Caroline, John, and Sue here. They’ve done a good job of taking care of me this week—whether helping with my laundry, driving me around, making me eat, taking care of Razor, giving me hugs, all of it. Yesterday, Sue and I were asked if we are twins. So, in the course of one week, I’ve been asked if I’m the twin of Anne Marie, Caroline, and Sue. That’s fun.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we would have been asked if we were twins... If they had not though I was younger.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the good news. :) I bet John felt left out not getting to be one of the twins... I'm thinking of you guys and tell Marty to heal up quick -- I have lots of horses that would love to take him out on the trails.

Christina

Trick said...

Oh Sonnet! I am so happy to hear from you. It is so great to hear news from the source instead of through the grapevine, but we never wanted to call you directly for fear you weren't up to fielding calls from everyone and their dogs. We (Travis and I)are so happy to have so many positive details on Marty's progress. He is doing much better than we knew and we rejoice! We do have everyone and their dogs praying for you. I have passed the word to my in-laws (Ivan and Jennifer, who will pass to Erika and Mondo) and they are all praying for you. Often in family prayers if I forget to mention you, Aunah will remind me. So, we are all rooting for you and poking and squeezing three times.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the news about Marty; it is nice hear the progress and be able to thank the Lord for His tender mercies. We continue to pray for you and Marty and everyone treating, helping, and supporting the two of you.

In my view, being a twin is a good thing, though it has been a long time since I've been accused of being one.

Love, Daddy-A

MMA Lady said...

Sonnet, I'm so glad for you and Marty that this report is so good! I'm praying today for his surgery. What time will it be? That's wonderful that he's writing, walking, and communicating in other ways! Praise the Lord for a good day. Scott and I are thinking of you both and praying for you often.

MMA Lady said...

Oh, and about being twins, I meant to add something - my brother Matt and I have never been accused of being twins, but I do have a funny story. When I lived in CA, Matt came to visit me a couple of times (he is seven years OLDER than me, by the way), and each time I introduced him to someone, the person I was introducing him to always said, "Your younger brother?" Matt loved it, of course, but I was ready to scream!

B said...

So, did you tell people you had a twin, so that every time they met a new sister they were thought THIS must be the one!? ;)

I hope the surgery goes well...we love hearing all the updates. Thank you for being so strong, and able to share this with us. We love you guys (You and Marty and all you helpers, too!)

dani said...

We are so pleased to hear of these continued positives in yall's lives! Glad to see Marty able to communicate effectively with folks and avoid some frustrations. Hope the surgery goes well. Glad you have Caroline, Sue, and John there to take care of you. *hugs* x3x3 dani

Anonymous said...

That's great, Sonnet. His progress is truely amazing. The white board was an excellent idea. Hope the surgery went well! You hang in there. My thoughts are with you.

Lori

Anonymous said...

In a world turned upside down, isn't it great to have siblings that will come hang with you and help you hold on.
Hang in there and swing in hope from one improvement through setbacks and frustration, reaching for the next branch of gratitude. It's not monkey-ing around. It's moving forward when the floor has disappeared.
Thank you for who you are. You have what it takes. If you ever doubt it, look around at those gals (and guys) that look just like you and remember you are cut from the same cloth. You are also cut from Heavenly Father's cloth and he will help you and Marty in surprising ways.
Today, Scott was tired and in pain and wanted to quit his baseball game before it even started. I tried to encourage him and cool him down (it was 101 today.) Then we prayed. I remembered the ibuprophan in my purse. He eventually got out there and gave it his best. He struck out. He missed a few balls in the field. Then he hit a little blooper and made it to 1st base. From there he made it home and scored. His team won by only one point and today and we were both so happy he kept trying through the heat and pain and misses. A little dusty prayer was answered. I know they work and they will work for you and Marty.

Anonymous said...

I’m grateful for the blessings of progress; May they continue.
It is nice to feel the closeness of twins.
We need to figure out how to get your twin from CA, M, there.

Ree said...

It's Wonderful to hear how quickly Marty is progressing. It makes me want to be back there to see it. I love how you can see and accentuate the positive things in each day of this trial. I think it is very healing to have an attitude of gratitude. Keep it up. We love and pray for you.

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to hear your interactions with Marty. I hear things from mom and dad arlander, but this way I hear from you too and what you are seeing and feeling and experiencing. I know the Lord is answering the thousands of prayers offered in both of your behalfs--we pray many times a day.
Love emily